Jun 6, 2010

Happiness and Disappointment

Some quick thoughts on a topic that I have been ruminating on for a long time.

We are animals. Life is a struggle. We are not "meant" to be happy. We are meant to BE. That's it. If we are happy, that's a bonus. Happiness, actually, is wonderful and stands out because it is fleeting, rare or in the past. You have moments in time where you know you feel happy; you have times in your life where you are aware things are pretty good and you are on the whole happy; or you look back on times past and realise (or believe) you were happy.

Someone I know once said "If you look back in your life at the times you were happy, it's usually when you were busy." I think this is true.

I also think our minds exist to get us through the day and pass on our genes, and just cause us wonder and grief and anguish as a neat little side-trick.

I've posted a link below to an article I absolutely love, by someone who said all this much better than me. Catherine Deveny, in her former column in The Age newspaper published on 16 Feb 2010, took my breath away with this article. It's one of the best things I have ever read and I thank my sister who passed it on to me.

Favourite quote: "Life's not fair, but it is great. You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/nobodys-perfect-thankfully-20100216-o91v.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...